Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It was suggested

That I start a blog to archive my journey until -and after - the birth of my daughter Gabby.  I'm intrigued, excited and nervous about starting this blog since I've never done one before but I'm hoping that it is a good experience. 

I found out Tuesday morning that my FFN test came back positive, indicating that I am at risk for pre-term labor.  A phone call you never want to get, thats for sure.  The nurse said my doctor wanted to see me as soon as possible, so I made an appointment for Wed at 10:45.  So I did what I always do when I get news that I don't know much about - I hit Google.  I've been reading for 2 days about everything preemie because I want to be prepared for what is very likely to happen.  I have 11 and a half weeks left until I'm 40 weeks, 8 weeks until my doctor is ok with me delivering Gabby.  Funny how quickly an opinion can change.  A week ago I was bitching I had 12 weeks to go, now I'm hoping I make it 8 more.

So doctor gives me a list of restrictions for what I am no longer able to do - the part of the appointment I was dreading.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear her tell me I'm required to be sitting at work from now on, and not that I had to stop working.  Big stress lifted off my chest.  Then she tells me no sex - normally I wouldn't be a happy camper but pregnant sex just isn't my thing.  No lifting, including my 18 month old son.  Could cause a lot of issues considering I'm home with him all day and most nights.  No longer allowed to do anything that requires my stomach muscles - limited bending, no vacuuming, can't grocery shop alone.  Ugh.  What a nightmare.

I have to do NSTs twice a week until shes born.  I have to get two steroid injections in order to help her lungs mature faster.  Weekly cervical checks for dilation and effacement - which isn't happening right now thankfully.  She mentioned ultrasounds, but not sure how often those will be happening.  I don't know how I'm going to manage this with a toddler, but what other choice do I have really?  If it means a healthy baby, I'll do it.

I've already started researching the area NICUs and it looks like the closest hospital is going to be one in Royal Oak (about 30 mins away).  I don't know how I'm going to juggle a toddler and daily visits (possibly more) to see my baby in the NICU, since William will not be allowed to go to the NICU with me.  Not that I would want him there, I can't imagine trying to have a toddler in a NICU...  I'm thinking we are going to need to lean on family members, and that is something I have a hard time doing.  I hate thinking that our decision is going to impact so many other people by needing them to come watch our son so we can spend time with our daughter. 

Thats all I have time for tonight, will try to pick back up soon.  Who knew 2 lines could be so complicated?

2 comments:

  1. Try and take it easy! As easy as a mom of a toddler can.

    I have a really hard time leaning on family too. I hope you can get some help and feel comfortable with it.

    Bake Gabby, bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she stays cooking for a little while longer. I know we're 16 hours away but if there is anything you need let me know and i can try to help!! =)

    ReplyDelete